Welcome to Lakes Free Online!
Thanks for joining us! Our Sunday message will be streamed here each week at 10:40am.
Are you new to Lakes Free? Please take a moment and fill out our digital connect card. We would love to connect with you this week and say thank you for worshipping with us.
2022 Giving Statements have been mailed: Watch your mail for your giving statement. Contact the office if you have not received it.
Coats & Winter Wear Needed for MEC Prison Ministry: We are currently collecting winter wear for inmates who are released during the winter months. Please put donations outside the Sharing Shop door in the Fellowship Hall by Sunday, Feb. 12.
Vocational Ministry Scholarships: Lakes Free provides scholarships for students going into full-time ministry. Must be a junior or senior in a Christian college or a student in seminary going into full-time Christian ministry. If interested, contact the church office. If you would like to contribute to the Vocational Scholarship Fund, you may do so at any time.
Colossians: An Experimental Preaching Series: Mondays, 6:30pm, in the Worship Center. Come help Pastor Stephen with his doctoral work and enjoy some time in God’s Word.
Kentucky Mission Trip Opportunity: Lakes Free will be partnering with Praying Pelican Missions who are actively engaged in longterm recovery efforts after devastating tornadoes. We are excited to offer this as a joint Student Ministries/Missions sponsored trip. Contact Chuck Stomberg with any questions. Register here.
Men’s Breakfast: Sat, Feb. 11, 8:00am in Fellowship Hall. We’re hosting a follow-up breakfast with our Men’s Advance speaker, Joe Smith. This will be an encouraging time together as we discuss holiness and living a pure lifestyle. All men (HS age+) are invited, even if you’re not currently struggling with purity. Joe Smith is the President of Broken Strength Men’s Purity Ministry. Cost: $5. Register here.
Family Ski Day: Sun, Feb. 19, 2:00-8:00pm. Get out and enjoy a beautiful winter day on some great slopes. All ages from Lakes Free welcome! Cost: $24 Lift ticket (per person); $24 Ski/snowboard rental (if needed). A free beginner lesson is included for anyone interested (age 7+) at 2:45pm. We will enjoy a pot luck dinner at 6:00pm. Register here.
Standing Strong in Babylon
Pastor Jason Carslon
In the example of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego we’re encouraged to:
- Stand out in a culture of compromise (v. 1-12)
The empire of Babylon could rightly be described as a culture of compromise…
1) A king that compromised the truth (v. 1-7)
2) A people that compromised their convictions (v. 7)
3) A council that compromised others for self (v. 8-12)
- Stand up in the courts of confusion (v. 13-18)
What gave these men the courage to stand up to Nebuchadnezzar’s threats?
1) They trusted God’s sovereignty
2) They knew God’s word
3) They were committed to their convictions
4) They recalled God’s triumphs
- Stand firm in the crucible of crisis (v. 19-30)
“Beloved, you must go into the furnace if you would have the nearest and dearest dealings with Christ Jesus.” – Charles Spurgeon
2 Corinthians 4:16-18
Romans 8:35, 37-39
Sermon Discussion Questions
Questions for reflection:
- In what ways can you relate to the test of faith experienced by Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego?
- What inspiration can you take from their example?
Questions for discussion:
- What similarities do you see in the compromise of Babylon to our culture today?
- When have you experienced pressure to compromise your faith? How did you respond?
- Why must we be resolved in our convictions before we face the moment of testing?
- When God doesn’t deliver us from dangers or trials, does that mean he’s abandoned us? Why or why not?
Thank you for your support! Click the button below to give online
Fill out the form and let us know you’ve made a decision. We’d love to connect you with a pastor.