Welcome to Lakes Free Online!
Thanks for joining us! Our Sunday message will be streamed here each week at 10:40am.
Are you new to Lakes Free? Please take a moment and fill out our digital connect card. We would love to connect with you this week and say thank you for worshipping with us.
GriefShare Group: Mondays, Sept. 19-Dec. 19, 7:00pm. Click here for more information or to register.
Blood Drive at Lakes Free: Monday, Oct. 3, 10am-4pm. Many time slots still available. Sign up to donate here.
Trunk or Treat | Oct. 31, 5:00-6:30pm: We need trunks! If you are interested in providing your trunk for our Trunk or Treat Event, click here to get signed up.
The Real Jesus
Pastor Jason Carlson
Who is Jesus Christ?
- The Person of Christ (v. 15)
“the image of the invisible God”
John 1:1-3, 14
“the firstborn of all creation”
Jesus is the G.O.A.T.
The “Jesus” of the Cults:
- Jehovah’s Witnesses- Michael the Archangel, the first creation of Jehovah God
- Mormonism (LDS)- A man who evolved to become a god, one god among many
- Christian Science- A divine idea
- Bahai- One of nine great prophets
- Unitarian Universalists- A good man mistakenly deified by his followers
- Freemasonry- A moral teacher equal with Buddha, Confucius, Mohammed, etc.
- Scientology- A false dream implanted in our minds by evil aliens
- New Age Movement- A man who discovered “Christ” consciousness
- Unity- A man who perfected a divine idea
- Transcendental Meditation- An enlightened guru
1 Timothy 4:1
2 Corinthians 4:4
- The Position of Christ (v. 16-18)
Creator (v. 16)
“Let’s be intellectually honest. We all know that the probability of life arising by chance is the same probability of throwing a six on a dice five million consecutive times…Let’s be scientifically honest. We all know that the probability of life arising by chance through evolution is the same probability as having a tornado tear through a junkyard and form out the other end a Boeing 747 jetliner… A commonsense interpretation of the facts suggests that a superintellect has monkeyed with physics, as well as chemistry and biology, and that there are no blind forces worth speaking about in nature.” – Sir Fred Hoyle, the world’s leading astronomer & mathematician, speaking before the British Academy of Science.
1 John 4:4
Sustainer (v. 17)
“The universe owes its continuing coherence to Christ… what holds the universe together is not an idea or a virtue, but a person: the resurrected Christ. Without him, electrons would not continue to circle nuclei, gravity would cease to work, the planets would not stay in their orbits.” – Douglas Moo, The Letters to the Colossians and Philemon
2 Peter 3:7
Unsurpassed (v. 18)
- The Provision of Christ (v. 19-20)
“reconcile” speaks to our problem…
“peace” speaks to our hope…
Sermon Discussion Questions
Questions for reflection:
1. How did today’s study confirm or challenge your view of Jesus Christ?
2. If Paul’s testimony of Jesus is true, what are the implications for your life?
Questions for discussion:
1. What views or perspectives about Jesus Christ have you encountered in our world?
2. Why is a recognition of the deity of Jesus Christ central to genuine Christianity?
3. What does it mean to say Jesus is preeminent? How should we live in light of this reality?
Thank you for your support! Click the button below to give online
Fill out the form and let us know you’ve made a decision. We’d love to connect you with a pastor.